#waldhausener

Altstadt
#Waldhausener

mehr als eine Straße....

IMPRESSIONEN

Street Art Work & Multi Kulti

ein Ort für Individualisten

Altstadtrundgang

Anekdötchen & Bierchen

Ein Rundgang durch die Altstadt

Essen, Trinken, Tanzen

Essen, Trinken, Tanzen

mehr als 50 Locations

previous arrow
previous arrow
next arrow
next arrow

The Old Town walk follows the course of the former town wall with its remains, towers and three town gates. In addition to the remains of the city wall, the route also includes a detour to the most important historical buildings within the former ring of walls. This gives walkers an impression of the medieval city limits. The history of the respective sites is explained on the boards along the city wall path.

City wall in Geropark

Unfortunately, only a few remains of the city wall (1300-1800), once a stone fortress with 12 towers, have been preserved today. These can be found, for example, in Geropark – at the southern foot of the Abbey Hill or in the Abbey Garden. “The Pulverturm” (Dicker Turm) was also part of the fortifications that protected the town from hostile attacks for five centuries.

"Die Frau" (The woman)

With his 9.30 m high sculpture (2002) which was installed as part of the “Sculpture Mile” in the Geropark in front of the Münsterstieg, artist Georg Ettl has created a monument to contemporary art. The steel lady with flowing hair and high heels otherwise follows Ettl’s typical style with clear and reduced forms, for which he became famous worldwide. In the background you can see the cathedral St. Vitus, which will be presented at the end of our tour.

The "Hoppediz"

As a stronghold of the Rhenish carnival, Mönchengladbach is especially known and loved for its big parade on Violet Tuesday. So it is no wonder that a sculpture of its own has been dedicated to the “personified mischief”. Designed by the architect Eberhard Corcilius, the Hoppediz has resided next to the “Prinzenpaarsäule” in front of the Carnival Museum (Altes Zeughaus) since 2003.

Altes Zeughaus (Old armoury)

The former armoury, built in the 18th century and used as an arsenal, is located near the Old Market Sqare and, at 4.25 m, is considered the narrowest house in Mönchengladbach. Since 2002 it has been home to the Carnival Museum and displays exhibits relating to carnival customs  and the history of the town.

Anna-Schiller-Stiege

Through an initiative of the then 4th grade of the Anton-Heinen primary school, supported by the provost Edmund Erlemann, the path between Gasthausstraße and Neustraße was named after Anna Schiller in 1995. The small, inconspiciuous woman lieved from 1890 to 1976 and although she herself was poor, she donated everything she could spare. When she inherited property at an advanced age, she gave the entire proceeds of the sale to the charity organisation “Wohlfahrt”, which used them to furnish the Anna Schiller House, later named after her, for homeless men.

Lover's Lane

Günter Netzer is not only a Mönchengladbach veteran and former professional football player – he is also considered a co-founder of the Old Town pub scene. As one of the biggest stars in the football league, he opened his club at Waldhausener Str. 55 in April 1971 together with his former girlfriend, Hannelore Girrulat. Here, German celebrities from the worlds of film, music and sport came together. Nearby, at Gasthausstraße 31, you will also find Netzer’s birthplace.

The "Frenzen"

The “Frenzen” is located in the middle of Mönchengladbach. The more than 300 year old traditional restaurant is located at the corner of Waldhausener and Aachener Straße and is therefore the ideal starting or ending point for a discovery tour through the Old Town. The concept of the popular food spot: down-to-earth, with modern interpretation. In addition, readings, poetry events and after-work parties are regularly held in Frenzen.

Kulturküche

Since 2013, the non-profit project “Kulturküche” has combined social and cultural work under one roof. The café at Waldhausener Str. 64 is open from Monday to Friday and provides guests with small delicacies. On event evenings the stage is cooking – the cultural programme offers concerts, readings or theatre. On weekends, you can get creative yourself in various workshops.

Dicker Turm (Thick Tower)

The historic walls, once part of the medieval town fortifications, are located at Turmstiege 16. A moat was probably once located around the mighty round tower (12.5 m). The side tower was reconstructed in 1974 and surrounded by newly designed outdoor facilities. Today, the “Schützen-Feste” houses the district archive of the Schützenbruderschaften, which can be visited once a year on the “Open Tower Day”. The collection includes protocol books and literature as well as historical flags and uniforms.

The "Köntges"

The “Köntges” is the home of new neighbourhood: The open meeting place offers culture, community, exchange & cosiness. As a non-profit, voluntary project, Köntges is supported by the Altstadtinitiative Mönchengladbach e.V.

Kapuzinerplatz

The Kapuzinerplatz is located in the middle of the historic old town and is one of the central squares in the city centre – int he area of the former gatekeeper’s house it merges seamlessly into the Alter Markt. The construction of the “Markthalle”, which began in August 2020, is intended to revitalise and redesign the Kapuzinerplatz. The monumental sculpture “Drei Stufen” by Heinz Mack can be admired here. Particularly clever: the work of art is not only impressive in size and shape, but also conceals the ventilations shaft of an underground car park.

Christuskirche

In 19th century Prussia was dominated by Protestantism. Here the Protestant Church, which had previously lived a shadowy existence in the Catholic areas, was able to show self-confidence with church building in prominent places. With the purchase of the land, the Protestant community secured its location within the city walls. The Christuskirche was built between 1845 and 1852, and even the Prussian King Friedrich Wilhelm IV was present in person at the laying of the foundation stone.

Alter Markt (Old Market Square)

Together with the Kapuzinerplatz and the cathedral, the Alter Markt forms the centrepiece of the historic Mönchengladbach. Here – virtually at the gates of the abbey – a small settlement grew into a small town and was finally enclosed by a city wall. Not only in the past was the Alter Markt the central meeting place: with its wide range of culinary delights, it is still the gastronomic centre of the Old Town today.

City Church (Our Lady of the Assumption)

In contrast to the Basilica, the “Citykirche” has always been a citizens’ church. In addition to numerous altars of the Gladbacher Bruderschaften, it also contained the graves of wealthy families. The late Gothic building, completed in 1533, must have had at least one predecessor. During archaeological excavations, wall foundations and tiled floors were found, among other things. Today the church is not only used for religious services: Art exhibitions, workshops and concerts also take place here (Photo: P. Brinkmann)

St. Vith

Towards the end of the 16th century, Abbot Jakob Hecken had St. Vith built as an inn for Gladbach Abbey. It served as accommodation and catering for the monastery’s guests. Today, the inn is one of the oldest non-church buildings in the town. The position of the house is said to have been chosen not by chance: according to a story, the abbot is said to have obstructed the view of the stone pillory with the coat of arms of the Dukes of Jülich, which they had erected in place of the wooden abbey pillory.

Edmund-Erlemann-Platz

With a ceremony and accompanying exhibition, the square in front of the Citykirche was officially inaugurated in September 2016 as Edmund-Erlemann-Platz. Edmund Erlemann (1935 – 2015) was a socially committed Roman Catholic priest, Provost of Mönchengladbach Cathedral and founder of the Volksverein Foundation.

Altstadtwache

Today’s police department originally served a completely different purpose: the building, completed in 1912, became the headquarters of the Mönchengladbach Savings Bank. It was previously housed in the town hall. In the new branch office, customers could now carry out their banking transactions at several counters and, for the first time, also rent lockers.

Balderich-Statue

A nobleman by the name of Balderich is considered the builder of the first monastery church on the Abteiberg and the founder of the first settlement on the Gladbach. However, it has not yet been possible to determine with certainty which “Balderich” it is, who was honoured with the monument erected in 1913. There is much to be said for Margrave Balderich of Friuli, who lived during the reign of Charlemagne. It is said that the “Hitta” street is named after his wife. But the search for traces continues…

Rathaus Abtei (Town Hall)

The former abbey of the Benedictine monastry was built in 1663, but it took more than 40 years to complete the south wing. After the abbey was dissolved, a cotton weaving mill was operated there, and in 1835 it was sold to the city of Mönchengladbach. After the severe damage to the building during the Second World War, it was extensively renovated and has been the official residence of the Lord Mayor of Mönchengladbach since 1950.

Provistory

Originally, this building was supposed to have housed the hospital of the monastery until it became a parsonage in 1802. Like so many other buildings, it was badly damaged during the Second World War. It was rebuilt and restored as faithfully as possible using old photographs.

Museum Abteiberg

The museum building, designed by Hans Hollein and opened in 1982, is a globally recognised milestone of post-modern museum architecture. The Museum of Contemporary Art displays a prism of international and private collections, supplemented by changing exhibitions. A subsequent visit to the adjoining sculpture garden is highly recommended.

Haus Erholung

Haus Erholung looks back on a turbulent 150-year history. For a long time it was owned by “Gesellschaft Erholung”, an exclusive club of Gladbach entrepreneurs, who held numerous cultural events and celebrated glittering parties in the imposing building. In the middle of the city and yet surrounded by greenery, this beautiful building still offers the perfect setting for conferences, congresses, weddings,  family celebrations and birthdays.

"Traumstraße"

As part of an art project, the narrow little sunken path between the Spatzenberg and Fliescherberg was “dreamily” redesigned. This was so well received that the colourful lanterns, initially temporarily installed by the English artist Alex Morrison, now happily illuminate the alleyway as fixed installations.

Abtei-/Skulpturengarten

The place where the monks of the abbey cultivated their fruit between 1300 and 1800 is now home to important sculptures by renowned artists. The former monastery garden now belongs to the Abteiberg Museum, which was redesigned as part of EUROGA 2002plus. The lower wall is part of the historic town fortifications.

Basilica St. Vitus

The Basilica St. Vitus with its more than 1000 years of history is one of the oldest sacral buildings in Mönchengladbach and at the same time the symbol of the city. From the Abteiberg you can enjoy a wonderful view over Mönchengladbach’s old town to the Gero Pond, the city wall and the historic row of houses along the Weiherstraße.