Digital sightseeing with the YONA app
The new YONA app takes Mönchengladbach’s visitors and citizens on an exciting journey of discovery: In addition to the public analogue city maps, digital tourist information can now be accessed via smartphone.
Digitalisation is also changing people’s travel equipment. Instead of cameras, travel guides and road maps, the vast majority of holidaymakers now travel equipped only with their smartphones. In keeping with the times, there is now much more to discover with YONA on the Mönchengladbach city maps in the Citylights and display boxes in the city area! All you have to do is install the free YONA app and scan the city map on site with the built-in smartphone camera. Icons of the “Mönchengladbach must-sees” appear on the mobile phone screen with lots of information, photos and videos. If you want to set off straight away, you can use the practical route display via the implemented Google service – mobile, on your own mobile phone.
The Marketing Gesellschaft Mönchengladbach (MGMG) applied for the urbanana Award 2020 with the project “Digital Sightseeing in Mönchengladbach” in cooperation with the YONA App and became one of the six award winners among 40 strong competing projects.
This is how it works:
- Connect with MGWIFI
- Install the free YONA app: Simply scan the QR code on the YONA sticker or use the links to the Google Play or Apple App Store.
- Open the YONA app.
- Scan the city map in the Citylight pillar (or other display cases distributed throughout the city) with your smartphone camera.
The location icons of the “Mönchengladbach Must Sees” with interesting information, photos and videos will then appear on the mobile phone screen.
If you want to set off straight away, you can use the practical route display via the implemented Google service – mobile, on your own mobile phone.
The city maps are available at the city light posters at the Alter Markt in front of the FIRST travel agency, at Brucknerallee/ Mühlenstraße, at Friedrich-Ebert-Straße/ Mühlenstraße, at Aachener Straße/ Bahnstraße and at Kaldenkirchener Straße/ Bergstraße.
- Minto -signpost on the 3rd level at the escalator
- Mönchengladbach bus station – 5 showcases
- MGL Airport – Terminal
- Borussiapark – showcase at the training grounds
- Rheydt railway station – showcases
- Marktplatz Rheydt – Entrances to the underground car park on the market square
- Rheydt Castle – weather shelter